Monday, March 30, 2015

The Monster Inside Me

Well I don't know how else to put this... I have cancer. Surprised? Join the club. It has been a crazy journey getting to this point, and I figured I might as well write all about it! Beware.. this first entry is going to be a little long. There is a lot to catch you up on!! Grab some popcorn? 

Lets starts in the beginning (well as far as I know, this was the beginning..). I think I was in 9th grade, and I started to notice some pain in my left side. Of course I complained about it. I am a complainer. I was convinced I had kidney stones and that I needed to see the doctor. So my dad and I went to get it checked out! The doctor asked me some questions, and came to this conclusion... "Sean, you must be chewing too much gum" he continued with, "The extra air flow is causing irritation down there". I am sure he used more medical terminology, but I can't remember it. Anyway, my dad and I looked at each other thinking something along the lines of "Uhh.. is he serious?". So that was that. I walked out of the office with a resolve to chew less gum. How could I be such a gum chewing fool in the first place?

Well guess what? I chewed less gum, and the pain was still there. I mean it wasn't anything severe! It would be painful for a week or so and then go away for a couple months. I scoffed at the gum idea, and went back to chewing it whenever I wanted to. It was quite liberating. I mean who would have thought the gum hypothesis was false? ;) The pain has come and gone for years. I am 20 years old now, and far removed from 9th grade. I have had to just deal with this pain for a while.

Fast forward to my life in New York City! I served a two year mission for my church in that beautiful city. I remember this past December having a horrible experience. I was spending the day in Jamaica, Queens (where stories are born). I had SEVERE pain in my left side. This time I was positive I had kidney stones. I could hardly move. Coughing hurt, and don't even get me started about trying to run after a bus. It was painful. I talked to a nurse about my condition... luckily he didn't mention anything about gum (we couldn't chew it as a missionaries anyways). He said that I probably pulled a muscle and to call him back if the pain didn't go away. I gave it a few days, and guess what? The pain subsided. I was with other missionaries when I tried to prove to them I had a lump just underneath my left ribcage. They didn't buy it... So I shut up about it. 

I finished my two year mission in February! Yay! I made it. I was spending time with my favorite people, and I was trying to get back into the swing of things. Then one day I started pooping blood. Maybe I should have put a disclaimer before that? Oh well. Haha! I was a little worried. That isn't exactly normal. I made an appointment to see the doctor! I hadn't had a great history with these so called medical professionals, but I figured we would give it another shot. He gave me some great insights.. "I don't really know whats wrong". I chuckled. What else should I expect? LUCKILY I got a TB test that day. Which required me to go back to that doctor a few days later. 

Before I went back to get my test read, I noticed something. I had lost a significant amount of weight in the past two weeks. It was something like 14-15 pounds. I was pretty proud of myself. I was getting in the shower one day when I noticed an abnormal lump below my left ribcage! I mean I had been working out, but I didn't think that could have been a muscle... So I was a little freaked out. I showed my doctor again that same day. You will never guess what he said... "I don't really know what that is? Maybe a lipoma?" (Which by the way I had just learned about lipomas from my lovely friend Amanda). Anyway! He did the right thing. Referred me to get a CT Scan. Well isn't this getting exciting?

I show up to get my CT scan. They had some good news! "Sean, you get to drink a smoothie this morning". Well I got a little giddy. I love smoothies. I was hoping for a strawberry/banana. It turns out they have a sick sense of humor at the hospital.. at 8 in the morning. It was really just this stuff that made my insides light up on the CT scan. I was fooled! I was thinking that at least I didn't have to get injected with anything. At least until I walked into the room an hour later (after the "smoothie" had been downed). Apparently they saw it fit to give me a double dose! My insides looked like Christmas. Just a side note.. The injection was really weird. It literally felt like icy hot was pouring into my veins... at least I had a hot body for once?

I went home and started to play the waiting game. I wasn't expecting to hear anything very soon, but to my surprise I received a phone call the same day! The medical industry scored a point for that one. My doctor dropped the "c" word on me. He said he didn't know for sure, but I needed to see an oncologist (I guess that is the fancy name for cancer doctor). The appointment was scheduled, and the reality started to trickle in. 

There was only one problem! My appointment wasn't for another two weeks. Ouch. I could be dead by then! (too soon for those kind of jokes?) Whatever. But luckily the doctor called and said I needed to see him sooner than that. I was to go in on Friday! Two days, in stead of two weeks. 

Well my parents and my friend Amanda loaded up in the car on Friday morning! We didn't know what to expect, but we were anxious to find out. I met with the doctor. Great guy. We are closer than you think.. let me explain. He asked me to strip down (after the others left the room). He wanted to do a check up, and he started to feel around. Okay this time I am going to put a disclaimer. Don't read this paragraph if you can't handle it... But now I have your attention, so who is gonna skip over it? He tells me to pull down my pants, and does some more investigating. I am just laughing  because I don't know what else to do? Then he brings up the whole rectal bleeding experience and says he is going to have to check that out.. I won't go into detail, but lets just say I was in a fetal position and I was violated. I will never be the same. 

I got dressed and moved into the next room! Then he confirmed what we were all thinking. I have a HUGE cancerous tumor inside of me. Like really big. The size of a soccer ball. It has been growing for a few years, and it is called a sarcoma? It is a really rare form of cancer. He didn't know if the cancer had spread anywhere else, but we scheduled a surgery immediately. He said it would be pretty complicated because it is displacing/affecting so many other organs. My kidney looked like a little shrimp. I will probably lose my kidney, my spleen, and he will have to shave down two ribs and my pancreas! Oh and the tumor broke through the muscle wall, so he will have to reconstruct all of that. 

After the very uncomfortable biopsy experience, we left. 


We went to my cancer lunch at the cheesecake factory. Yum. At this point the reality hadn't set in quite yet. I was still trying to wrap my head around it. I texted my close friends saying "It is cancerous". As I read the text back to myself, even I couldn't believe it?!

Well since then I have had a mix of emotions. I have been happy (maybe oblivious), and sad. I have been calm at times.. and I have also freaked out. I would say I have a panic attack about once a day. Once I feel the pain in my side and realize that there is something inside of me trying to kill me... that usually does the trick. I would say overall I am doing pretty good! I still love life. I still find things to be grateful for every single day. I think the most important thing is that I am not mad at God. I promised myself when I was little that I would never ask God "Why". I try to just ask "What". What can I learn from this? What can I do to help make it through this? I am trying to keep that same habit a midst this cancer ordeal. I still love God, and I still love life. I am not even mad at that doctor who called me a "gum chewing fool". 

The coolest part about having cancer? The support I have seen from everyone. I have been blessed to be surrounded by awesome family and friends. The love and support from them means more to me than they will ever know. I have cried over more than a few texts that I have received. People are just awesome. 

Phew! If you are still reading this, you made it through the first entry! Congrats. 

We all have trials but it is my belief that we "can-cer vive" anything that life tries to throw at us. Just remember that life is whatever we make it. I choose to make it good, cancer and all.  



16 comments:

  1. I hate to say it, but I am giggling right now. Not because you have cancer, mind you! I guess humor is one of your coping mechanisms. Wow, what an ordeal. You will be in our prayers. I like the comment that you don't ask "why" but "what." What a great lesson to learn. Stay strong!

    The Halls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just commented, Any way, thanks for your story. I just finished my cancer treatments and I hope that will be it. The doctor's physician assistant called me today, I was not home. I hope is just to tell me all is fine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our prayers are with you.

    Elder Skylar Ririe's Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know for sure, but I can guess that most if not all oncologists would say that you have the perfect attitude for battling this. It's amazing how much our mind/spirits are connected to our bodies. You are incredible Sean! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sean, we love you so much! Justin, Ali, Paige, Ty, and Meg Brewer. We will always keep you in our hearts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! My husband had a sarcoma cancer in his stomach, a rare cancer called GIST. (Gastro Intestinal Stromal Tumor). Can show up anywhere in the digestive system. I wrote a blog about it...The Jimbo Report.... Anyway, your story sounded a bit like his, not sure if you have the same cancer, but we learned a lot and had a great team of Dr's in Utah and is in remission for the last 4 yrs. Wishing you the best

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel free to contact us if you want to compare notes..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for all of the support!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, i wrote a long comment and i must have used Geri's google account thaw why it did not go through :) anyways, i am really surprised and sad to hear this news, Alan mentioned it to me today. i know that you will make it through this trial! You have been such a faithful and happy missionary and i know that the Lord will keep His covenant with you as you have kept your covenant while serving a full time mission. The soleta family will pray for you everyday intact we just did few minutes ago in our family prayer. I will follow your blog and will be here if you need anything. I work in an oncology unit and administer chemotherapy as well. I can give you some tips on what to do while on chemotherapy. This is what i observed with my patients receiving chemo. Those who have a positive attitude, like you, always respond to the treatment successfully. I know you can do it! The Soleta family is grateful for your service and we love you!! Take care Elder Lee, Sister Soleta

    ReplyDelete
  10. **that and not thaw...in fact and not intact....hahaha, this autocorrect is crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart sank when I heard the news. We just love you Sean or should I say elder Lee! My little Twins had quite the crush on you the whole time you were in terryville! You can do this! The Lord is with you and I am sure you have felt His love for you so strong lately. We will be praying so hard for you to have strength and most importantly peace and comfort. If you are ever in Vegas look us up!

    Love the Allen family

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sean,

    You're one of the toughest guys I've ever met. Whether it was in football or in school or just in life you've always done what you have to do to get a job done. You also always do it with a good heart and a smile on your face, even when it's unpleasant. You'll get this done the same way you've handled everything else. Keep it up big guy, and best of luck.

    Mark Dawson

    ReplyDelete
  13. your attitude is amazing. that will make your battle a lot easier. I don't know you, only through missionary mamas. you will have a lot of prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a great soldier! !! I will praying and fasting for you.
    Go Sean go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a great soldier! !! I will praying and fasting for you.
    Go Sean go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your optimism and great example! Reading this post is a good reminder to me to love life, no matter what. On a smaller scale, I try to find optimism along my own journey with Crohn's Disease. On Friday, I will try to find humor and joy along the way as I have my second colonoscopy and biopsy. I know that God will strengthen you along the way!

    ReplyDelete